If you’re a first home buyer you can draw all but $1,000 of your KiwiSaver or a complying fund to help you into your first home.
How it works
Regular contributors to KiwiSaver are eligible for the KiwiSaver Withdrawal Scheme. The withdrawal is intended to help first-home buyers get closer to home ownership.
First Home Buyer
- The withdrawal is administered by the KiwiSaver scheme provider or relevant complying fund manager. If your withdrawal is approved, the funds will be paid to your solicitor on or before settlement day.
- Kāinga Ora is only involved in the savings withdrawal if you have previously owned a home or land. If you currently own a home, land, or have a share in a property, you will not be eligible for this feature (this does not include ownership of Māori land).
- If you are a previous homeowner and want to apply for both the First Home Grant and the KiwiSaver Withdrawal Determination, you need to complete two separate applications.
Eligibility & Conditions
- If you have been a member of KiwiSaver for at least 3 years, you may be able to make a withdrawal from your savings to put towards buying your first home. Eligible members can withdraw their KiwiSaver savings (including tax credits).
- However, at least $1,000 must remain in their KiwiSaver account. You must be intending to live in the property. It cannot be used to buy an investment property.
- If you are a member of a complying fund, you may be able to withdraw your savings to help you buy your first home.
- Not all complying funds permit withdrawals for this purpose, so you will need to discuss this with the trustees of your complying fund.
The KiwiSaver First-home Withdrawal is different from the First-home Buyers Grant
Check you are eligible for First Home Grant :: Kāinga Ora – Homes and Communities (kaingaora.govt.nz)
Du Val are not Financial Advisors. This information is up-to-date as of 1 March 2023. Please perform your own research before applying for the KiwiSaver First-home Withdrawal.
How can we help?
Our experienced team can help guide you towards your property goals.
Connect with us for a FREE, no-obligation consultation with one of our team today.